Thursday, August 26, 2010

Christmas Came Early

Sorry for the lame cliche of a title, but the reality of it is, as you will see, it fits the bill.



This is a Premier Project One snare.

This is the drum that I first fell in love with over three years ago.

This is the drum that is so elusive and nearly impossible to get your hands on because it stopped being made I think around 30-40 years ago.

And this one in the picture is mine!

See why the title in all of its lameness is extremely appropriate?

The first time I played one of these drums, I knew that this was the snare that I wanted to own one day. But they're so hard to come by that one goes up for sale on ebay only once every 8-12 months (give or take). Even if you're in the market to buy one, which I wasn't for the last three years, good luck with the bidding process.

But that all changed this past weekend.

A good friend of mine sent me a link for the sale of this drum, and not only was I in the market to buy one, but I was in the market to buy one! (A little play on words).

I immediately emailed the seller, inquiring about the drum and such, and asked him if he'd be willing to sell it for a certain price off auction. He got back to me and said he'd sell it to me for the opening bid price! I was shocked! If I had been talking on the phone with him, all he would have heard after saying that was complete silence, and then a crack in my voice saying, "Okay."

So I emailed him back and told him I'd take it. He said he'd send it out on Monday and send me the shipping information Monday night. I was ecstatic.

But then Monday night came with no email from him. And then Tuesday morning came and still no email. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. What if I'd just gotten scammed? Should I have seen the signs? Selling it for starting bid off auction. Maybe I was a little too eager?

So I emailed him that morning asking if he'd sent it and if he had the shipping information for me. Mid-morning came, nothing. Afternoon, nothing. Late afternoon, nothing. Since he'd been so prompt to get back to me initially, I was a little concerned. Not even about the whole money thing. I've wanted one of these for so long, and now it seemed as if I had it in my grasp, and I didn't want it to be ripped away (Dramatic, I know).

But then the email came. He had sent it out. And the next day it arrived in all of its glory.

I can't wait to set up and play with it. I'll spare you the details as to what make this snare so great, and instead forewarn you that if you come hear us play in the future, you'll be struck by a pleasant sounding, honeydew sweetness in your ears.

And now you know where it'll be coming from.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So I am guessing this is one you won't be lending to B? ;)

Unknown said...

Wow... how awesome is that!