Friday, September 10, 2010

Fanatic In Philly

If there's one thing I've learned about being a new parent, it's that the more prepared you are, the better things usually go.

If there's a second thing I've learned, it's that no matter how prepared you are, something inevitably will eventually go wrong.

Thus brings us to last Saturday night.

It's September. At that point, the Phillies were in the hunt for first place, and Halladay was pitching. Great night to go down to a game. Which we did.

And we prepared.

We packed Nolan's things up. Extra clothes and a hat in case it got too cold. Two bottles with water. Formula and rice cereal in the to-go container. Pacifiers. Etc. Etc.

My parents took Nolan in their car, and as we were sitting in traffic, Carla and I realized that it was getting close to the time when Nolan would need to eat. But we were close to the stadium, so we called them and said if he really starts freaking out before we get there, go ahead and feed him.

And then we got the call.

I picked up the phone, heard Nolan wailing in the background, and listened as my mom told me that the top of the to-go container for the formula had come off in Nolan's bag, mixed with the rice cereal and was everywhere. And by the way, did I mention Nolan was freaking out?

What to do?

We were literally just about to pull into the stadium, and we had to make a decision fast. We couldn't really use the formula that fell out, and even if we got enough for one bottle, we didn't have enough for two. So my immediate thought was we have to go home. Nolan needs food. What else could we do?

Thankfully the wisdom of my wife saved us from doing that. She said there had to be a drug store somewhere around where we could get formula. So we kept driving and happened upon a CVS right across the street from the stadium complex. Who knew?

My wife did. That's why I love her.

I ran in, paid way too much for overpriced formula, and helped to get Nolan happy again.

And we made it to our seats half way through the first inning with a happy baby who stole the eyes of everyone sitting around him.







Nolan got a little freaked out when everyone started cheering at the end of the game, but was soon smiling again. And yes, I took a picture of it.

No comments: